Thursday 25 August 2011

Moving on in Metropolis

Life without Luke wasn't grueling at all. After all, he was only a passer-by, a good guy who became a jerk when he decided to break my heart. My friends in high school- tomboyish Irina, muddle-headed Paige and materialistic-but-easygoing Kayla, they were too, left behind when I left Little Suburbia. I was the first to enroll in college, and was glad that no one from the small, tattered old town had followed me here. I did not plan to be haunted by my past. Without those people in this new environment, I could be myself instead of being their first impressions of me (which were so many years ago) and only partly myself.

Soon, a girl named Brenda gave me an idea of what this college's people think of me at first glance.

"Oh my, you look so docile in this checkered dress! You looked very adorable in the floral blouse yesterday. Are you always this sweet?"

Docile. I shuddered inside, while making an effort to smile shyly at Brenda. It was one of the many things people from high school would never call me.

During my first Math class, I got to know Emi Hatsukawa. Emi had walked in relatively late, when the classroom was filled with students' incessant ice-breaking chatters. Most of us were strangers before this, and were just beginning to get to know each other. Since the majority of students had already formed solid, impenetrable cliques during orientation, I had sat alone in a corner of the classroom. Well, until Emi cautiously, and gracefully approached me. Blushing slightly, she asked, "Is anybody sitting here?"

"Um... nope." Swiftly, I lifted my bag and placed it on the other side. I noticed that Emi, like the general idea of a Japanese girl, had a fair complexion. However, despite being of the same age as me, it would have been more appropriate to call her a "young woman" rather than a teenager. I noted her conservative and elegant attire- white sweater, peach-colored knee-length skirt and navy blue flats. She had colored her long hair brown, and had tied it up in a bun. In spite of that, the classy, natural waves were noticeable.

"Hi," I turned to her as soon as she settled down in her seat. "My name's Heather. Heather Amaryllis"

"Emi Hatsukawa," she smiled, her luminous grace and beauty apparent. She put out her hand for a handshake. Her accent was evident too, so I concluded that she was brought up here.

Later in class, I learned that she was from far North and was staying with her sister, who was 9 years older. She learned that I was from far South and was staying at the hostel. She complimented me for being the quickest in Math, and also, she said that I was.... adorable.

Making a point to be polite, I thanked her and told her she's pretty. A statement which she vehemently denied. I had the impression that she was simply trying to convey humility because she felt obligated. The quiet confidence was impossible to miss.

After Math, we went for separate classes. She had Chemistry, while I had Accounting.

We had lunch together at noon. So, Emi Hatsukawa became my first friend in college.

No comments:

Post a Comment